Me Made May 2018
Its that time of the year again and time to dust off the woolly winter coats (at last) and participate in this long running challenge in the sewing community. Spring is definitely here after the longest winter ever so its a good opportunity to go through the wardrobe and decide what works for you and what need to go in the charity shop bag or the alterations pile.
Zoe of So,Zo blog is the founder of this initiative and she has written a detailed blog post including the piece below with all the information you need:
Me-Made-May’18 (#MMMay18 for social media interaction) is a challenge designed to encourage people who sew/knit/crochet/refashion/upcycle garments for themselves to wear and love them more. This challenge works on both a personal and community level. The participants decide the specifics of their own challenge, so that the month is appropriate and challenging for them (more on this below), and aim to fulfil that pledge for the duration of May 2018. Some participants also choose to document their challenge photographically (though this is in no way compulsory for taking part) and share them with other participants.
- to start integrating your self-made items into your regular wardrobe rotation.
- get out of a wardrobe rut by focusing on your lesser-worn items and creating new outfits that include them.
- find out what the ‘holes’ in your wardrobe are so that you are able to use your garment-creating time more usefully in the future.
- begin wearing the clothes that you really want to be seen in, rather than the same old things you usually reach for most mornings.
- enjoy the excuse to finish off any lingering UFOs (unfinished objects), or to finally start a project that has been on your mind for ages.
- discover what the rest of this large community of makers has created and is wearing in their day-to-day lives, and enjoy the support, advice and inspiration that they will provide.
How do I sign up?
And you can sign up officially here (not compulsory- do it whatever way works for you – there should be no pressure)
All you have to do is copy the pledge below and paste it into the comments section of this post, adapted to include your details and the personal specification of your challenge before 1st May:
‘I, (insert name here and blog address/instagram handle if you have one), sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’18. I endeavour to…………………………………………………………………May 2018’
In summary its a great way to figure out if the clothes you are making are really working for you if you can wear them regularly. Its also a good way to find other like minded sewing folk to follow on Instagram if thats your thing. It can be very inspirational and motivational.
For the last week of the month there will be discounts from lots of suppliers (including Dress Fabrics) instead of the usual giveaways so everyones a winner ;)..
My pledge will be
‘I, Maeve (https://www.dressfabrics.ie/dressfabrics-blog/ maeve_dressfabrics (IG)) , sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’18. I endeavour to wear as many different me mades as I can to see what I really like in my wardrobe including tops and trousers/ jeans and limit leggings to twice a week during May 2018’
To prepare for the challenge I am going to sort out one section of my wardrobe and put in all the clothes I am going to try and wear for the month. Then I will write a list of all the items I feel I need to fill the holes I imagine are in there. I’ll post photos on Instagram and Instagram stories and maybe write a summary blog post at the middle or end of May.
So, who’s up for the challenge??